No 540 Squadron

raf

Formed from 'H' & 'L' Flights of the Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at Leuchars on 19 October 1942.

Equipped with Mosquitoes, it operated over Norway and the Baltic. Detachments from bases further south, also operated over France and Italy and during Operation Torch, another detachment operated over North Africa. It moved to Benson in February 1944, in time for Operation Overlord and from it also carried out sorties into Austria and to the canary Islands. In March 1945, the squadron moved to France but returned to Benson the following November, where it remained until disbanding on 30 September 1946.

The squadron reformed at Benson on 1 December 1947, again in the PR role and still equipped with the Mosquito, this time Mk 32s.  It converted to Canberra PR3s in December 1952 and the following March moved to Wyton.  Canberra PR 7s arrived in September 1954, the squadron operating both models until it was disbanded on 31 March 1956.

Motto: Sine qua non (Indispensable)

Squadron Codes used: - DH - Nov 1945 - Sep 1946, Dec 1947 - 1951

Aircraft & Markings

Fundstelle: http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn521-540.htm am 14.10.2008